SAN FRANCISCO — The deadliest of last month’s wildfires in California’s wine country may have been started by electrical equipment not owned or installed by Pacific Gas and Electric Co., the utility said in a court filing.

Related Articles

Wine Country fire cleanup reaches new step: clearing ruins

Facing 11 felony charges, new attorney appointed to suspect in Santa Cruz County wildfire

Running for his life: How one teen is coping with aftermath of wildfires

One Santa Rosa football player addresses new purpose: Uniting a community

On the playing field, in the stands, North Bay fire victims find their escape

PG&E said in a legal filing Thursday that a preliminary investigation suggests that a private power line may have started the blaze that killed 21 people and destroyed more than 4,400 homes in Sonoma County. Another 22 people were killed and at least 4,500 more structures were destroyed in Northern California wildfires that began Oct. 8.

Although the cause of the fire that decimated a Santa Rosa neighborhood has not been determined, “preliminary investigations suggest that this fire might have been caused by electrical equipment that was owned, installed and maintained by a third party,” PG&E attorneys wrote in the filing with the Judicial Council of California, the policymaking body of California courts.

PG&E did not name the third party but referenced a location in neighboring Napa County where CalFire investigators have zeroed in as they try to determine the cause of the …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Business

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *