“I’m ready tomorrow,” Forchion told the judge at Monday’s pretrial hearing

Edward “NJ Weedman” Forchion will get another chance to represent himself in court next month after a jury couldn’t come to a conclusion on a witness tampering charge last year.

Judge Anthony Massi said Monday that jury selection for the retrial will begin May 8, and opening statements could be heard as early as May 10.

“I’m ready tomorrow,” Forchion told the judge at Monday’s pretrial hearing.

A jury found Forchion not guilty in November for the first — and more serious — of two counts of witness tampering that stemmed from a drug raid on his eatery, NJ Weedman’s Joint in 2016. The jury was hung on a second count.

Forchion allegedly revealed the name of the confidential informant involved in the drug dealing case and sent threatening letters to the informant’s family.

The Weedman has been jailed for more than a year now. Massi struck down a request for his release after the November trial, citing witness testimony from Forchion’s trial that proves “no amount of monetary bail or non-monetary conditions … assure the safety of others.”

While Forchion continues to use Christopher Campbell as standby council, he plans to again represent himself in the May trial.

Paige Gross may be reached at pgross@njadvancemedia.com. Follow her on Twitter @By_paigegross. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

…read more

Source:: New Jersey Real -Time News

      

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *