pimple necrotizing infection

Carol Martin died after developing a flesh-eating bacteria known as necrotizing fasciitis, local Indianapolis news station WTTV reported.
Her husband, Richard Martin, told WTTV that he believes she was infected when she used a hot tub during a vacation to Florida.
Carol Martin initially thought the infection was a pimple, but a biopsy revealed it was much more serious.
Necrotizing fasciitis is a potentially fatal skin infection that spreads quickly and kills the body’s soft tissue.
Warning: This post contains graphic images.

When Carol Martin returned home from her family vacation to Clearwater, Florida, she noticed a sore on her butt. She assumed it was just a pimple, and went about her day. But the “pimple” turned out to be a flesh-eating bacteria, local Indianapolis news station WTTV reported.

It turns out, the pimple was a serious infection known as necrotizing fasciitis, local Florida news station WFLA reported.

Carol sought treatment at an urgent care center when she noticed that the sore was growing, WTTV reported. She was sent home twice with antibiotics and a heating pad. But on her third visit, doctors did a biopsy and found that she had necrotizing fasciitis, WFLA reported.

This bacterial infection enters the body through a break in the skin.

Necrotizing fasciitis is a bacterial skin infection that spreads and kills the body’s soft tissue, according to the Centers for Disease and Control (CDC). The infection is most commonly caused when bacteria enters the body through a break in the skin, but it can also develop as a complication of surgical procedures, according to the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD). Additionally, medical conditions that weaken the immune system such as diabetes, kidney disease, or cancer may increase the risk of necrotizing fasciitis, according to the CDC.

Carol …read more

Source:: Business Insider

      

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *