REGINA — Saskatchewan RCMP say they are preparing to talk to Crown prosecutors about potential charges in the Humboldt Broncos bus crash, but can’t say exactly when that will happen.

Police say they are still investigating the April 6 collision. They have previously said that a semi-trailer unit was in a rural Saskatchewan intersection when the truck and the junior hockey team’s bus collided while the Broncos were on their way to a playoff game in Nipawin.

“We’re still working through a number of reports, data, interview material for the investigation,” Supt. Derek Williams said Tuesday. “We are just waiting for some expert reports to be completed and peer reviewed so we can have a good discussion with our provincial Crown prosecution team here in the province.”

Sixteen people — including 10 players — were killed and another 13 players were injured. The driver of the semi-trailer was not hurt. He was taken into custody immediately after the collision and released later that evening.

Consulting with the Crown about charges is standard practice in any serious, sensitive and complex case, said Williams. He added investigators talk to the driver on a regular basis and “remain in contact with him.”

The driver of the semi was employed by Calgary-based Adesh Deol Trucking Ltd. at the time of the crash.

Adesh Deol was put on suspension by the province pending an investigation, but Alberta Transportation confirmed on Tuesday the suspension was lifted June 1.

The ministry also confirmed another numbered trucking company has been registered at the same Calgary address as Adesh Deol, saying “one of the trucks and one of the drivers” from Adesh Deol is operating with the new company.

But Adesh Deol owner Sukhmander Singh says the new outfit is not his and he is not a driver for the numbered company.

“(Alberta Transportation) do not allow for …read more

Source:: Calgary Herald

      

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *