Stacey Peoples says she contracted the eye infection Acanthamoeba Keratitis after swimming while wearing contact lenses, CBS4 reported in September.
The infection made her go blind in one eye until she received a cornea transplant.

Acanthamoeba Keratitis is extremely rare in the US, but most cases do occur in contact lens wearers.

Experts say contact wearers should never rinse or store lenses in tap water, and avoid bathing or swimming in their lenses.

A woman who contracted a parasitic eye infection that left her partially blind is retelling her painful story to offer others a warning: Never swim while wearing contact lenses.

Stacey Peoples, an educator from Colorado, believes the ordeal began back in 2014, when she went for an ordinary swim in a pool with her son, Colorado CBS affiliate CBS4 reported back in September. At the time, she was wearing contact lenses.

About a week later, her eye became red and itchy and began to hurt, Peoples told the “Today” show, also in September. Over the following weeks, her condition worsened and the pain intensified.

“It felt like somebody was snapping a rubber band in the front of my eye every few seconds, but then at the same time, the back of the eye felt like … it was going to explode through the back of my head,” she told “Today.” “The side of my face felt like a constant migraine.”

Soon, she lost vision in her eye and became so sensitive to light that she couldn’t work or drive.

“I was suicidal for a couple of days. If I had not had family and incredible support, I’m not sure what would have happened,” she told “Today.”

Eventually, a cornea specialist identified the root …read more

Source:: Business Insider

      

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *