trump javid

Sajid Javid says it was “odd” that he was blocked from attending the recent state banquet with Donald Trump.
The Home Secretary, who is from a Muslim background, was the only senior cabinet minister not to receive an invite.
Javid says he asked Downing Street why he had been blocked and was told that Home Secretaries aren’t usually invited.
Muslim groups have accused the UK government of pandering to racism by failing to invite Javid.
Visit Business Insider’s home page for more stories.

LONDON — Sajid Javid says he was blocked by Downing Street from attending the recent state banquet with Donald Trump, despite all other senior members of Theresa May’s Cabinet being invited.

The Home Secretary, who is from a Muslim background, told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme on Thursday it was “odd” that he hadn’t been invited even though more junior members of the Cabinet were asked to attend.

“I don’t like it for the reason you have just said,” Javid told the programme.

“It is odd. My office did ask Number 10 [the prime minister’s office] and they said no, so you would have to ask somebody from Number 10 why they made that decision.”

Asked whether he believed he was blocked because of his background and Trump’s views about Muslims, he replied: “No I’m not saying that at all. I really don’t know. I haven’t got an answer.”

Other senior cabinet ministers present at the banquet with the US President included Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt, Chancellor Philip Hammond, Cabinet Office Minister David Lidington, Environment Secretary Michael Gove, Defence Secretary Penny Mordaunt, and International Trade Secretary Liam Fox.

Last week the Muslim Council wrote to the prime minister, criticising the decision to exclude Javid, who is currently running to replace May as prime minister.

“There are fears that our nation is willing to give up on …read more

Source:: Business Insider

      

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *