Summary List Placement
Good morning and welcome to 10 Things in Tech. If this was forwarded to you, sign up here.
Let’s get started.
1. Here’s how to determine whether your phone number was leaked in the giant Facebook breach — in just 10 seconds. After the personal data of 533 million Facebook users was stolen and placed on a hacking forum, the website “Have I been pwned” added an update to let users see if their number was leaked. Check if your information was breached.
2. Jeff Bezos said Amazon supports a corporate tax hike to pay for Biden’s infrastructure plan. The Amazon CEO said the plan — which would raise the tax rate for corporations to 28%, up from 21% — will “require concessions from all sides.” More from Bezos’ statement.
3. Amazon has a quota for the number of employees it would be happy to see leave each year. One of the key pieces of Amazon’s complex performance review process is a metric that represents the percentage of employees managers weren’t sad to see leave — whether they parted ways voluntarily or otherwise. An inside look at the metric that employees say fosters Amazon’s cutthroat culture.
4. Tech giants donated tens of thousands of dollars to a GOP group that pushes voter suppression laws. Facebook and Google were among the corporations that donated money to a Republican group that advocates for controversial voting laws. This is how much each company donated.
5. Tim Cook hinted that Apple was working on an autonomous electric car. The CEO hedged his statement by saying many of the company’s projects “never see the light of day.” Here’s what else Cook said about the possibility of an autonomous vehicle.
6. Thousands of US police officers and public servants have used controversial facial recognition …read more
Source:: Business Insider